Canada Immigration & Visa Services
D-190, 401, Sector 74, Mohali
Mon - Sat 10am – 5pm

Temporary Residence

Temporary Resident Permit Canada

TRP know as a Temporary Resident Permit, is actually a document, which is issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This document allows people who are technically inadmissible to Canada to visit the country.

Whom to issue TRP and whom to not is solely the decision of the Canadian Border Service officers, only they determine which Temporary Resident Permit application is to be approved or which one to deny. How they make a decision is actually a lengthy topic, but in the crux, we can say that they compare the risks of a person’s entry to the benefits it will have on Canadian society. It depends on the applicant how he or she demonstrates that they are deserving of temporary residence in Canada. TRPs have the length of a person’s stay in Canada and it is very important that if you are granted with TRP then you must leave once your temporary residence has expired.

Am I eligible to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)?

Applying for a TRP is one of the more frequent inquiries we receive at CPRP. Thousands of Applications for TRP have been handled by our team each year. Many family members seeking to temporarily reunite with family in Canada, some want to work, some want to visit as a tourist, some persons are applying with medical and/or other inadmissibility issues that need to enter for humanitarian, social, or work purposes. This includes professional athletes, artists, and emergency workers. To check whether you are eligible to apply or not depends on your situation and circumstances. If you fall under any one of the categories mentioned above, then you can visit us for detailed advice on your case.

When are TRPs granted?

In defining whether a TRP should be approved generally, officers are beholden to weigh the necessity and risk factors of each case. The In Land Processing Manual lists specific factors, some mandatory and some optional, that are to be considered in performing this assessment:

Officers have to consider:

  • The aspects that make the person’s existence in Canada necessary (e.g., family ties, job experiences, economic input, temporary appearance at an event);
  • The intention of the legislation (e.g., protecting public health or the health care system).

The assessment may involve:

  • The crucial purpose of the person’s occurrence in Canada;
  • The type/class of application and relevant family structure, both in the home country and in Canada;
  • If it is related to medical treatment, whether or not the treatment is practically offered in Canada or elsewhere and estimated effectiveness of treatment;
  • The tangible or intangible aids which may accrue to the person concerned and to others; and
  • The distinctiveness of the sponsor (in a foreign national case) or host or employer (in a provisional resident case).
  • Where can I apply for a TRP and for how long?

    TRPs may be allotted at ports of entrance and inland offices though permit extensions are only allotted inland. While certain candidates apply in person, most applicants apply in writing. A preliminary permit may be approved for a maximum of three years and may be extended for another two years. Depending upon the motive for entry to Canada, the time appeal could be for as short as one day.

    On paper submissions on a TRP application should, therefore, provide a ‘‘needs versus risk” valuation highlighting the persistent need for the person to enter or remain in Canada and signifying that the applicant poses minimal risk to Canadians or no risk at all. It is imperative to be aware that a TRP is deemed canceled when the permit holder leaves Canada, except the document, authorizes re-entry.

    Is an interview required?

    Interviews are generally required for stern inadmissibility or flagrant or intentional violations, or to measure credibility, merit, or risk and the degree of contrition. An interview may not be necessary if inadmissibility is on health or technical grounds and when credibility or merit is not an issue or where the inadmissibility includes one or two minor (summary) felonies and five years has passed.

    For more information on Temporary Migration, contact our CPRP team through call or email.