Canada Immigration & Visa Services
D-190, 401, Sector 74, Mohali
Mon - Sat 10am – 5pm
What is the rule of the PNP certificate and how long the certificate is valid?

Question: My PNP certificate is about to expire and I was wondering if there is a policy regarding the requirement to obtain a new PNP certificate prior to its expiry? If yes, then please let me know what is the policy and how long my PNP certificate is valid for? If not, why are we requested to provide such a document?

Answer: The validity period and expiry date of a PNP certificate is the sole purview of the nominating province or territory.

Expiry dates are written on the approval letter from the province/territory you got the nomination and that applicants submit these approval letters with their permanent residence application to the visa office. The applicant is responsible for submitting their application for permanent residence under the PNP to the appropriate visa office within the timeframe specified by the nominating province/territory.

It has to be noted that your PNP certificate is valid on the date of application submission. If the PNP certificate expired before the application submission date, the visa office will return the application to the applicant indicating that the reason for the return is the expiry of the nomination. And this happens then in such cases, the applicant has to re-apply to the province/territory, and have to obtain an updated and valid PNP certificate, after this applicant has to submit a new application for permanent residence under the PNP to the proper visa office.

If the PNP certificate is valid on the date of application submission, and the applicant has submitted a complete application, the visa office will honor the certificate throughout the processing of the permanent residence application under the PNP.

Why my Sister-in-law’s PR application get refusal?

Question: Hello Mr. Samar, My Question is regarding my sister-in-law’s application for permanent residency. She has applied by herself and got refusal recently. She got married to my brother last month and now we have decided to apply again, but we need some expert advice in a fresh file. My brother and his have done post-graduation with wast experience in finance & business administration. I was wondering why her application gets a refusal?

Answer: Well. It is quite difficult to give any statement without reviewing the refusal letter. It could be any reason for the refusal.

  • Lack of proper documentation,
  • Degree-granting schools might not be recognized by the local govt. as an institution that can issue diploma, degrees.
  • Insufficient work experience.
  • Lack of language ability, etc.

One more question that I would have is whether your sister-in-law has advised Immigration Canada about her change of status, after marrying your brother. You have to consult a specialist regarding the possibility of challenging the refusal at the Federal Court of Canada if warranted.  As for her new application, applicants must be very careful as from January 2015 the economic class category rules have changed. So you should consult before applying to avoid another refusal. Also, an attorney will review other immigration programs that might apply to your sister in law’s case.

Do I need an immigration lawyer?

Question: I want to apply for a post- graduate work permit and I am wondering if I need an attorney to proceed, I know you are an immigration attorney, but I admire you a lot. I read your comments in the newspapers regularly and value your advice. I read on Citizenship Canada’s website that an applicant is not obliged to hire a representative for immigration matters and the Government of Canada treats everyone similarly, whether they have hired a representative or not. Also it was written that even If someone hire a representative, application will not be given special consideration nor can you expect faster processing or a more favorable result.

Answer: First of all thanks for being a regular reader of our immigration section. I must say your question is very interesting and it will definitely help many who think the similar way. Well here we go about your question. I read your question and visited the Canada Government website again and noticed the warning there. Well if you will read it again you will realize that the tone and tenor of the entire message in my opinion, sends an inappropriate and misleading message about representatives. But I will not deny the fact as it is true to some context. It is correct that you are not obliged to hire an attorney for immigration matters. It is also correctly written that you cannot expect faster processing or a more favourable result. Again, this is true in other lawful contexts as well, but otherwise the statement is mistaken. Lawyers always play a serious role in advancing applications and sometimes, selecting the suitable immigrant category which clearly means a more favourable result. Catching missing information which only an experience attorney can do, is another example that will evade a lengthy delay on your case, which is considered as fast processing. I hope now you will be able to understand the importance of an attorney on any case. Properly presenting and advocating a case on behalf of a client in this complex web of regulations, rules and policy which are continuously increasing often make the difference.

If I left Canada temporarily, can I still apply for citizenship?

Question: I came to Canada from Colombia on a work permit for one year. After working in Canada for one year on a full-time position as a plumber, I decided to go home where I stayed for 8 months. After that period of time, I returned to Canada on another work permit and worked part-time for six months. After six months, I succeeded in being employed full time for the past 10 months. I do not know whether I qualify or not to apply under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) or does my absence for 8 months and also working part-time for a period of time disqualifies me?

Answer: Every week we got this question, the Canadian Experience Class is likely the most enquired category and this is because there are many foreign students and workers in Canada who want to know their options. CEC class takes past 3-year experience into consideration. And As you mentioned your total work experience in Canada is of 25 months (12 months plus 6 months part time is equivalent to 3 months full time and another 10 months up to now), It means that you qualify for the CEC category. The circumstance that you were absent for a period of 8 months does not affect your Canadian experience. The good news is that work experience can be part-time and non-continuous within that three- year period as long as a person accumulates 12 months of full-time experience in Canada in a qualified occupation. Good luck!