Some series of changes has been introduced by Passport Canada On October 20, 2014. These changes are related to the identity documents (ID) which are required for passport applications.
The new conditions have been added to the proof of identity for applicants who are age 16 and above. The identity documents have to be issued by a federal or provincial/territorial government authority, or local equivalent abroad, and they must have:
- date of birth,
- sex, and
Now applicant can submit one or more supporting ID documents to prove all of the above essentials. Otherwise, if any one element is missing, the application will be rejected.
If you apply for a new passport in a presumed relationship surname/ family name that is unlike from the name on his/her birth or citizenship certificate, that person have tosubmit one of the following mentioned documents, along with their birth or citizenship certificate:
- a marriage certificate; or
- a common-law relationship certificate; or
- a court order (i.e. parting agreement or divorce order) delivered by a court of law in or outside Canada; or
- a credential to dissolve a recorded common-law relationship; or
- a resumption of surname certificate.
The identity document which you are submitting along with the passport application, must have the relationship surname that the person is requesting.
In case your passport is lost or stolen you have to inform Passport Canada immediately. A new fee of $45 will be charged for the replacement of a passport.
Canadians Living Abroad
Applicants who are living outside of Canada and are applying for Canadian passport have the option of choosing a guarantor, the rule implies from December 9, 2013.
- an adult with a lately expired Canadian passport which is less than a year; or
- a member of an expanded list of a variety of occupations listed below.
The guarantor need not to be a Canadian citizen, if they are in one of the following professions:
- Medical doctor
- Dean/head of university or college
- Notary public
- Police officer
- Signing authority of a bank or trust company or of a financial organization that offers a full range of banking services (cash withdrawals, deposits, savings)
In case you have been refused to issue of a passport, your passport is revoked and/or you have been refused passport services, you may put an appeal and pursue judicial review of the decision in Federal Court.